Inside news from the Boston College entrepreneurship community
Learnings from Brendan Quinn: Hiring Principles
What’s the number one thing great managers must figure out? According to Brendan Quinn, leader of a LevelUp team of product managers, designers, and developers, it’s how to build and maintain credibility within your team, starting from the point of hire. Brendan informed SSC’s founders on all aspects of management, ranging from basic hiring principles to the nuances of a non-technical leader supervising engineers.
A few key hiring principles Brendan shared with our student entrepreneurs:
- At the beginning, focus on people who can build or sell.
- Don’t be afraid to hire people who are dramatically better than you.
- Culture is the ultimate priority and should never be compromised in the hiring process.
- To find undiscovered talent, take a chance on people and be quick to fire or promote accordingly.
- As a general rule, don’t hire a person unless they raise the average level of the team.
Perhaps the most invaluable lesson learned on leadership was simply witnessing the way Brendan ran the chat himself. The humility Brendan showed when speaking of his career journey and current role spoke volumes to the characteristics of true leaders: self-awareness, honesty, and a genuine desire to help others and the team move forward.
Be in the know
Stay up-to-date with Inside news from the Boston College entrepreneurship community via Venture Notes: